Zephir - Ze(nd Engine) Ph(p) I(nt)r(mediate) - is a high level language that eases the creation and maintainability of extensions for PHP. Zephir extensions are exported to C code that can be compiled and optimized by major C compilers such as gcc/clang/vc++. Functionality is exposed to the PHP language.
- Both dynamic/static typing
- Reduced execution overhead compared with full interpretation
- Restricted procedural programming, promoting OOP
- Memory safety
- Ahead-of-time (AOT) compiler to provide predictable performance
Compiler design goals:
- Multi-pass compilation
- Type speculation/inference
- Allow runtime profile-guided optimizations, pseudo-constant propagation and indirect/virtual function inlining
- re2c >= 0.13.6
- Zephir Parser >= 1.1.0
- A C compiler such as
gcc>= 4.4 or an alternative such as
Visual C++>= 11 or
Intel C++. It is recommended to use
gcc4.4 or later
- PHP development headers and tools
build-essentialpackage when using
gccon Ubuntu (and likely other distros as well)
To install Zephir on Windows follow this guide.
Linux | macOS | BSD | Solaris
Clone Zephir repository.
Then, install Zephir by using command
./install from project root dir. For global installation add
You can install Zephir using composer.
To get Zephir, run
composer require phalcon/zephir.
Additional notes on Ubuntu
The following packages are needed in Ubuntu:
apt-get install re2c libpcre3-dev
Compile the extension:
See CONTRIBUTING.md for details about contributions to this repository.
Zephir is open-sourced software licensed under the MIT License. See the LICENSE file for more information.