A minimalistic news aggregator built with Flask and powered by News API.
- Dependencies from
Pipfile.lock (preferably in a virtual env).
- API key for News API. It's free for non-commercial projects (including open-source) and allows 500 requests per day. Once acquired, save it as
NEWS_API_KEY environment variable or directly as string to
news.py. Just don't share it or upload the code with it.
python news.py or
python3 news.py (depending on the environment) in the terminal while in the root of the repository.
- Go to http://127.0.0.1:5000/ address in the web browser.
- Get top articles headlines and their URLs by country and/or category.
- Search articles up to a month old. Looks for a given query in the titles. Language/country independent results. Relevancy decides.
- Results received from News API are cached for 5 minutes.
- Country is saved as a cookie.
- Responsive UI.