Live Share Chat
Chat with your team while you collaborate over code using VS Live Share
Live Share Chat is a companion extension for Visual Studio Live Share, which enables you to collaboratively edit and debug code with others, in real time.
- Install the Live Share Extension Pack, which packages VS Live Share with support for audio and text chat.
- Direct Messages: DM your Live Share contacts, within or outside Live Share sessions.
- Session Messages: Chat with participants, within a Live Share session
- Quiet notifications: Chat apps can be painfully distracting. This extension emphasizes on making chat useful, contextual, and without distracting notifications.
- Rich formatting: Share markdown code snippets, and add emojis to your chat messages.
- Native look-and-feel: Use chat in your preferred theme and grid editor layout.
Integrations for chat apps
Optionally, you can integrate Live Share Chat with your existing team chat apps, so your team communication is not fragmented.
To configure your Slack workspace, run the Sign In with Slack command in VS Code. Are you a Slack workspace admin? Approve this app for your team.
Start a new VS Live Share session within a Slack channel: Use the slash commands
/live share and
/live end to start and end a session.
Discord support is experimental. Please see this doc to set it up.
Live Share Spaces
To explore richer ways to connect and collaborate with developers across your teams, classrooms and communities, check out Live Share Spaces.
- Configuration settings: To use behind a network proxy and other settings, see CONFIGURATION.
- Raise an issue: Feel free to report an issue, or find me on Twitter for any suggestions or support.
- Get started with contribution: See CONTRIBUTING to understand repo structure, building and testing.
- New chat integrations: The implementation can be extended to support any chat provider, see PROVIDERS.
- Vision: Read the VISION doc to understand the motivation behind this extension and the roadmap ahead.