The master branch contains a work-in-progress rewrite. The old code can be found in the 1.x branch.
- View .epub, .mobi, .azw, and .azw3 files in two-page view or scrolled view
- Customize font, line-spacing, margins, and brightness
- Light, sepia, dark, and invert mode, or add your own custom themes
- Reading progress slider with chapter marks
- Bookmarks and annotations
- Find in book
- Quick dictionary lookup with Wiktionary, Wikipedia, and
dictd, or translate text with Google Translate
- Touchpad gestures—use two-finger swipe to turn the page
- Basic text-to-speech support with eSpeak NG and Festival
Debian/Ubuntu packages can be downloaded from the releases page.
Auto-hyphenation is done using CSS hyphenation. To enable CSS hyphenation in WebKitGTK, you will need to install the hyphenation rules, e.g.,
hyphen-en for English,
hyphen-fr for French, etc.
For offline dictionary support, install
For text-to-speech support, install
festival, and packages for the individual voices.
For Mobipocket (.mobi) and Kindle File Format (.azw, .azw3) support, you would need Python (2.7 or >= 3.4).
Building manually from source
The following dependencies are required for building:
meson (>= 0.40)
The following are runtime requirements:
gjs (>= 1.52)
To install, run the following commands:
meson build --prefix=/usr ninja -C build sudo ninja -C build install
To uninstall, run
sudo ninja -C build uninstall
Build and run from source without installing
The following commands will build Foliate and install it inside a directory:
meson build --prefix=$PWD/run ninja -C build ninja -C build install
To run the application, you'll need to set the schema directory for GSettings:
Building a Debian/Ubuntu Package
sudo apt install build-essential debhelper meson gettext dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -nc
Foliate is available on Flathub.
Building Flatpaks manually
Using Gnome Builder
Open Gnome Builder, choose "Clone Repository…", and follow the instructions. After cloning the project, hit Ctrl+F5 to build and run Foliate.
flatpak-builder --force-clean --install --user build com.github.johnfactotum.Foliate.json
Foliate is available on the Snap Store.
- Epub.js, which is licensed under FreeBSD. The included file is patched to fix #76 and #177
- The minified version of JSZip, which is dual-licensed. You may use it under the MIT license or the GPLv3 license. See LICENSE.markdown
This software also includes parts from KindleUnpack, which is liscensed under GPL-3.0.