A collection of ruby scripts for those who live in the command line.
Network Tools / Stock Finder / File Encryptor / Currency Converter / Weather / Movie Search
Install / Setup
Install all the scripts easily as a ruby gem
gem install jake-scripts
Netgeo - IP network utility
CLI utility for returning LAN, WAN, Router, and DNS IP's, as well as Geodata on current or specific IP's. Outputs clean results to make all your piping dreams come true. |
Netgeo is separate gem available here
gem install netgeo
NOTE: If no IP is specified, your current public IP is used
=> netgeo -s ip,city,region 22.214.171.124 => 126.96.36.199 Huntington WV
Stock Search - Returns current stock information
Currency Exchange - Returns converted currency based on realtime exchange rates
Uses Fixer.io for exchange data.
Uses Ruby Money for conversion accuracy + currency symbols
File Encryptor - Uses OpenSSL to encrypt and decrypt files with a password
encrypt [original file] [encrypted file] decrypt [encrypted file] [output file]
- Uses AES 256 level encryption
- Key is salted before creation
- Password is never in plain text, and OpenSSL generates key based on password
- Data is encrypted in Base64, so it can be used as plain text in an email. (Not usually necessary if attached as a file)
Tested With => .pdf, .txt, .docx, .doc, .png, .jpeg
CAUTION => Make sure to use different filenames, otherwise your file will be overwritten!
Weather Search - Returns current weather information based on IP
Uses the APIXU weather api for data based on IP.
Can also have a city passed as an argument to override the IP location.
Movie Search - Uses OMDB API to return movie data
Uses the OMBDB API.
IP Tools - Old Versions
- NOTE: The three scripts below have been replaced by the
netgeoscript, which combines the functionality of all three into a single, easier to use script. These have nice formatting, but singular functionality. I'll continue to keep them in the repo for those who like the formatted output, but I recommend using the new version, instead of the deprecated ones.
Users now have the option to set their own API keys through environment variables thanks to sethkrasnianski
export OMDBAPI_API_KEY=key export APIXU_API_KEY=key
- Rest-Client - Client for making HTTP requests in ruby
- Ruby Money - Ruby gem for accurate currency management
- Monetize - Ruby gem for money object creation
- Slop - Ruby CLI option parsing framework
- OS - Ruby gem for operating system identification
FAQ / Contact
- If you run into any issues, please open an issue ASAP and we'll work to get it resolved and merged.
- All Programs are fully functional, with live API keys baked in.
- NOTE: ip_list will only work on a Mac, due to OS specific commands used in the program.
- Terminal used is Hyper.js -> Background Color: #292937
- Using Oh-My-Zsh, Robby Russell theme, zsh-syntax-highlighting, and zsh_autosuggestions