Hasura GraphQL Engine
Hasura helps you build GraphQL apps backed by Postgres or incrementally move to GraphQL for existing applications using Postgres.
- Make powerful queries: Built-in filtering, pagination, pattern search, bulk insert, update, delete mutations
- Realtime: Convert any GraphQL query to a live query by using subscriptions
- Merge remote schemas: Access custom GraphQL schemas for business logic via a single GraphQL Engine endpoint. Read more.
- Trigger webhooks or serverless functions: On Postgres insert/update/delete events (read more)
- Works with existing, live databases: Point it to an existing Postgres database to instantly get a ready-to-use GraphQL API
- Fine-grained access control: Dynamic access control that integrates with your auth system (eg: auth0, firebase-auth)
- High-performance & low-footprint: ~15MB docker image; ~50MB RAM @ 1000 req/s; multi-core aware
- Admin UI & Migrations: Admin UI & Rails-inspired schema migrations
❤️: Supports Postgres types (PostGIS/geo-location, etc.), turns views to graphs, trigger stored functions or procedures with mutations
Table of contents
Table of Contents
- Client-side tooling
- Add business logic
- Support & Troubleshooting
- Brand assets
One-click deployment on Heroku
The fastest way to try Hasura out is via Heroku.
Click on the following button to deploy GraphQL Engine on Heroku with the free Postgres add-on:
Open the Hasura console
https://<app-name>.herokuapp.com(replace <app-name> with your app name) to open the admin console.
Make your first GraphQL query
Create a table and instantly run your first query. Follow this simple guide.
Other deployment methods
The Hasura GraphQL Engine fronts a Postgres database instance and can accept GraphQL requests from your client apps. It can be configured to work with your existing auth system and can handle access control using field-level rules with dynamic variables from your auth system.
You can also merge remote GraphQL schemas and provide a unified GraphQL API.
Add business logic
GraphQL Engine provides easy-to-reason, scalable and performant methods for adding custom business logic to your backend:
Add custom resolvers in a remote schema in addition to Hasura's Postgres-based GraphQL schema. Ideal for use-cases like implementing a payment API, or querying data that is not in your database - read more.
Trigger webhooks on database events
Add asynchronous business logic that is triggered based on database events. Ideal for notifications, data-pipelines from Postgres or asynchronous processing - read more.
Derived data or data transformations
Transform data in Postgres or run business logic on it to derive another dataset that can be queried using GraphQL Engine - read more.
Check out all the example applications in the community/examples directory.
Group Chat application built with React, includes a typing indicator, online users & new message notifications.
Live location tracking app that shows a running vehicle changing current GPS coordinates moving on a map.
A realtime dashboard for data aggregations on continuously changing data.
- Add GraphQL to a self-hosted GitLab instance (3:44 mins)
- Todo app with Auth0 and GraphQL backend (4:00 mins)
- GraphQL on GitLab integrated with GitLab auth (4:05 mins)
- Dashboard for 10million rides with geo-location (PostGIS, Timescale) (3:06 mins)
Support & Troubleshooting
The documentation and community will help you troubleshoot most issues. If you have encountered a bug or need to get in touch with us, you can contact us using one of the following channels:
- Support & feedback: Discord
- Issue & bug tracking: GitHub issues
- Follow product updates: @HasuraHQ
- Talk to us on our website chat
We are committed to fostering an open and welcoming environment in the community. Please see the Code of Conduct.
If you want to report a security issue, please read this.
Check out our contributing guide for more details.
Hasura brand assets (logos, the Hasura mascot, powered by badges etc.) can be found in the assets/brand folder. Feel free to use them in your application/website etc. We'd be thrilled if you add the "Powered by Hasura" badge to your applications built using Hasura.
<!-- For light backgrounds --> <a href="https://hasura.io"> <img width="150px" src="https://graphql-engine-cdn.hasura.io/img/powered_by_hasura_black.svg" /> </a> <!-- For dark backgrounds --> <a href="https://hasura.io"> <img width="150px" src="https://graphql-engine-cdn.hasura.io/img/powered_by_hasura_white.svg" /> </a>
Commercial licenses are available on request, if you do not wish to use the Hasura GraphQL Engine under the AGPL license. Typically, they come bundled with support plans and SLAs. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on our website chat.