What is this?
Packet's Spot Market allows users to bid on spare server capacity at reduced rates.
- Set a budget (max price) for each host
- Automatically sets the closest stratum server
- Places the minimum bid for the host
- Uses my mine-with-docker project and
- Can be run on a timer - i.e. every 5 minutes to ensure reclaimed hosts are replaced
- Easy configuration in YAML
- Docker Swarm used as an init process to keep the miner running if it crashes
- Configure one of the supported algorithms and Stratum of port i.e. hodl or cryptonight
- Atom hosts are supported through a separate Docker image
Note: See disclaimer and check T&Cs with any cloud provider before embarking on mining.
If you have additional questions or you want to try mining but don't want to use this example then consult my mine-with-docker project. You can also rebuild your own Docker image/binaries from source.
Install Go 1.9
Run go install
go install github.com/alexellis/spotminer
This installs spotminer into your
$GOPATH/bin directory, so update your
$PATH variable if necessary.
$GOPATH is normally set to
The config file is read from
config.yml, so copy
config.example.yml as a template and fill in your Packet API key and project ID. Set the
CONFIG_FILE enviromental variable for a different filename or path. You must also configure the bitcoin wallet address for your mining here.
packet: project_id: "" api_key: "" preferences: max_spot_instances: 6 max_price: 0.15 mine_algo: "cryptonight" port: 3355 bitcoin_wallet: wallet_address
For mining Hodl use
mine_algo: hodl and
Dependencies are managed through the
Go package used to talk to the Packet API
Used to read YAML configuration files
This software is provided without any warranty or support. Use at your own risk and consult the T&Cs of your cloud or hosting provider before running this software.