FFmpeg is a collection of libraries and tools to process multimedia content such as audio, video, subtitles and related metadata.
libavcodecprovides implementation of a wider range of codecs.
libavformatimplements streaming protocols, container formats and basic I/O access.
libavutilincludes hashers, decompressors and miscellaneous utility functions.
libavfilterprovides a mean to alter decoded Audio and Video through chain of filters.
libavdeviceprovides an abstraction to access capture and playback devices.
libswresampleimplements audio mixing and resampling routines.
libswscaleimplements color conversion and scaling routines.
- ffmpeg is a command line toolbox to manipulate, convert and stream multimedia content.
- ffplay is a minimalistic multimedia player.
- ffprobe is a simple analysis tool to inspect multimedia content.
- ffserver is a multimedia streaming server for live broadcasts.
- Additional small tools such as
The offline documentation is available in the doc/ directory.
Coding examples are available in the doc/examples directory.
FFmpeg codebase is mainly LGPL-licensed with optional components licensed under GPL. Please refer to the LICENSE file for detailed information.
Patches should be submitted to the ffmpeg-devel mailing list using
git format-patch or
git send-email. Github pull requests should be avoided because they are not part of our review process and will be ignored.